Pages

Friday 3 February 2012

[28/365] mi día favorito

IMG_2675
Another beautiful sunrise.
IMG_2689

IMG_2691

IMG_2781
Hidden Worlds is the perfect name for this cenote adventure park. It's jungle atmosphere and cenotes made for quite the day! We started off with sky cycling, which is pretty much like riding a reclined bike on a cable through the jungle. It wasn't really that great though, I got stuck a few times and since nobody was around to help me, I had to pull myself along the cable to reach the end. Next, was zip lining, which wasn't quite what I thought it'd be. I was expecting more speed... I didn't even hit the stopper at the end because I slowed down so much. The guide told me to eat more tacos at night.

IMG_1497

IMG_1516
We rappelled, ziplined, and snorkelled in a cenote as well. Our guides for the day (Julio and Edwin) genuinely enjoyed their jobs and found the outdoors fascinating. This made the tour even more enjoyable. They pointed out some plants that were used for things like bubble gum, rope, and traditional medicine while we rode on their "Mayan Hummer".

IMG_1590
My favourite part of the whole day at Hidden Worlds was the snorkelling in Hilarios' Well. It wasn't part of our package and we went deeper into the cenote than a regular tour. Edwin dives in the cenote usually so knew all the nooks and crannies. THIS was what I was expecting prior to the trip when I thought of snorkelling in a cenote. So much of it seemed untouched and you really felt like you were in a hidden world afar from anything. You were surrounded by the stalactites and stalagmites. In certain parts, the stalactites were inches from our heads and the stalagmites just lightly grazing our legs as we snorkelled. At one point, we turned off all our flashlights and just listened. It was pitch black and very peaceful. Oat and I did bump our heads on some stalactites though, especially when Edwin told me to lead the way back (thank goodness there were strings to follow!).

IMG_2874
We hadn't been having that much luck with the Mexican food in Cancun. It ranged from mediocre to crappy, but we finally had some amazing Mexican food... in none other than a food court!

IMG_2886

Tacos al pastor = soft taco shells + pastor (marinated pork cooked on a vertical rotisserie) + cilantro + onions + pineapples. A-freaking-mazing.

IMG_2894
McDonald's is a genius! Soft ice cream in an Oreo cone. It was the best ice cream cone I've ever eaten. I asked around when we came home to see if we had this, sadly, I was answered with no... but told that we have a cookies and cream pie.

IMG_2905
I've wanted a boston terrier for quite sometime now. This little guy just stole my heart. Look at that sad little face, doesn't it just make you want to take him home? He would gently nibble on my fingers in a playful way and loved to be petted.

IMG_2950
We went to the grocery store and picked up some Mexican baked goods to have breakfast on the beach the next morning. It was so much fun walking around the grocery store looking at all the things they have that we don't.

IMG_2968
Although I was stuffed after the tacos and oreo cone, Oat and I had to make a stop at Paleteria Y Neveria. It's an ice cream shop  that has a wide array of homemade popsicles, ice cream, and jelly desserts. We'd already tried a couple popsicles there and was curious about this colourful jelly. It wasn't actually anything special because it was really just jello in a sweet milk (a cross between evaporated milk, condensed milk, and coconut milk), but I'm glad I tried it.

1 comments: